Art & Culture
GRAND OLE OPRY OPENS NEW EXHIBITION “FAMOUS FRIENDS”
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – (May 1, 2023) – The Grand Ole Opry today opened its newest tour exhibition “Famous Friends,” featuring some of the most iconic celebrities, cultural figures and artists from a variety of musical genres who have visited and performed on the iconic Opry Stage. Installed at the Acuff House, the collection displays a variety of costumes, photos and personal items from celebrities including Tony Bennett, Ray Charles, Harlem Globetrotters, Andy Griffith, Leslie Jordan, Steve Martin, Sissy Spacek, Jack White, multiple U.S. Presidents and more.
“The Grand Ole Opry has been a staple of the country music scene for almost a century, and over the years, we’ve had the honor of welcoming some truly special guests to our stage,” said Dan Rogers, VP and Executive Producer of the Grand Ole Opry. “From legendary musicians to renowned actors and even U.S. presidents, the Opry has played host to a diverse range of talents and personalities, each leaving their own unique mark on our history. We’re excited to provide a new opportunity for our guests to experience these unique Opry stories.”
Some of the exhibit’s unique items include:
- Copy of Tony Bennett’s 2006 song chart for “Cold, Cold Heart,” signed by Tim McGraw
- Ray Charles’ stage wear tuxedo worn in the 1990s
- Leslie Jordan’s outfit worn during his Opry debut in 2021
- One of Steve Martin’s earliest known banjos
- Actress and singer Chrissy Metz’s Opry debut dress she wore in 2020
- Former President Richard Nixon’s Yo-Yo used on stage during the opening night of the Grand Ole Opry House in 1974
- Sissy Spacek’s script for “Coal Miner’s Daughter”
- Jack White’s 1968 Fender Stratocaster and custom suit by Manuel Cuevas worn to the 2014 GRAMMY Awards
Admission to the “Famous Friends” exhibit is included with the purchase of an Opry House Daytime Backstage Tour ticket. Other Opry tour options available for purchase include:
Women of Country Tour
Celebrate the trailblazing women – Dolly, Carrie, Reba, Trisha, Lauren, Jeannie, etc. — who continue to give country music its sparkle. Get an exclusive look at where country’s leading ladies get ready backstage. And stand where they’ve stood to perform the songs that have ripped our hearts apart then put them back together again.
Post-Show Backstage Tour
After you watch the show, see what it’s like behind the scenes! Get an exclusive look at what happens on the other side of the curtain of the show that made country music famous.
Make it a double and take advantage of the special Country Duos Ticket! Get a guided backstage tour of the legendary Grand Ole Opry and experience music’s Mother Church with a tour of Ryman Auditorium.
For more information on all Opry tours, visit opry.com/tours.